Fair Division of Land
As the world becomes more crowded, we need methods for fair division of land. The starting point of my research is the classic challenge of Fair cake-cutting. My goal is to generalize this framework in various ways in order to make it more applicable to division of land.
Publications and working papers
- "Fair and Square - Cake-Cutting in Two Dimensions": Erel Segal-Halevi, Shmuel Nitzan, Avinatan Hassidim, Yonatan Aumann. Journal of Mathematical Economics 2017, 70:1–28. “The paper is now a full treatise on the subject, with enough material to fill three or four regular length articles” (–an anonymous reviewer). Preliminary versions: EuroCG 2016 (4 pages) and arXiv 2016 (54 pages). → Live demo → Presentation
- "Counting Blanks in Polygonal Arrangements (Previously called "Cutting a Cake without Harming the Toppings").": Arseniy Akopyan, Erel Segal-Halevi. SIAM Journal on Discrete Mathematics 2018, 32(3):2242–-2257 and arXiv 2018.
- "Fair and Efficient Division among Families": Sophie Bade and Erel Segal-Halevi. arXiv 2019.
- "Envy-Free Division of Land": Erel Segal-Halevi, Shmuel Nitzan, Avinatan Hassidim, Yonatan Aumann. Mathematics of Operations Research 2020, 45(3):896–922 and arXiv 2019 (42 pages). Preliminary version: AAAI 2015 (8 pages). → Presentation
- "Fair Cake-Cutting Algorithms with Real Land-Value Data": Itay Shtechman and Rica Gonen and Erel Segal-Halevi. AAMAS 2020, pages 2005–2007 (extended abstract).
- "Keep Your Distance - Land Division With Separation": Edith Elkind, Erel Segal-Halevi, Warut Suksompong. IJCAI 2021.
- "Graphical Cake Cutting via Maximin Share": Edith Elkind, Erel Segal-Halevi, Warut Suksompong. IJCAJ 2021 and arXiv 2021.